We are excited to announce that we will provide four travel grants for student and/or post-doctoral scholars to attend the 59th Annual Meeting of the Society for Economic Botany! These merit-based awards will be made in the amount of $590 to be used towards transportation and lodging. Awardees will also receive complimentary registration to the meeting.
Applicants must meet both of the following criteria to be eligible for the travel grant:
• Be registered as a current member of the Society for Economic Botany; and
• Be currently enrolled in a graduate program (Masters or Doctoral students are eligible) or be currently employed as a Post-doctoral fellow. Note that your letter of support from your primary mentor must verify this status.
Applicants must assemble the following pieces of information, and submit all as a merged (single file) PDF document in the following order:
1. Conference Abstract. Follow the SEB abstract guidelines for formatting. Abstracts must also be submitted through the web portal;
2. Curriculum Vitae. Be sure to include a list of publications. Submitted publications which are currently in review may also be included. Publications “in-progress” should NOT be included on the CV;
3. Statement of Interest. The statement of interest should be no longer than 1 single page. Applicants should address the following in their statement: 1) How your research is relevant to members of the Society for Economic Botany; 2) How attendance at this particular meeting is important to your career development; 3) How have you been involved in the SEB until now and how to you plan to be involved in the future? ; and
4. Letter of Support. Your letter of support should come from your primary mentor/advisor or Department Chair. Letters must also confirm your current status as either an enrolled student or employment as a post-doctoral fellow.
Submission details (follow these carefully!): Applications are due by March 7, 2018 at midnight (EST). Applications should be submitted by e-mail as a single PDF file attachment in the above listed order to Dr. Jillian De Gezelle (email@example.com). Please write “SEB travel grant” in the email subject header. Again, make sure to save your PDF file as “LAST NAME_FIRST NAME”. Confirmation for receipt of the application will follow by email. Note that you are also required to submit an abstract via the web portal (check the conference website for the due date).
Applications that do not meet the above-described format or that are submitted in multiple file attachments will not be considered for review. Likewise, any late applications will not be considered for review.
The Travel Grant Awards committee will notify the award recipients by March 25, 2018. Note that funds will be disbursed in US dollars via check to awardees at the final banquet of the SEB meeting. If disbursement via check is a challenge for the recipient, the funds can be disbursed via wire transfer to the recipient after the meeting takes place.
Award recipients are expected to present their research (poster or oral presentation) at the conference. They are also expected to write a brief account of their experience at the meeting for the SEB newsletter.