Public Engagement Award
Sponsored by Vine Biotech, LLC
$500 first prize, $150 second prize, $100 third prize
Submissions open July 18, 2018 and close April 1, 2019
Economic Botany is found at the intersection of people, plants, and culture. It has been defined in many ways by the work and passion of countless people. Now we want to hear your story.
Upload a short iPhone-style video, less than 2 minutes in length, defining what the term Economic Botany means to you, in a way that would appeal to a general audience.
The goal of this award is to communicate to the public, as well as current and future society members, a better understanding of the varied perspectives on Economic Botany around the world. Entrants do not necessarily need to be currently engaged in research—we just want to see clearly articulated passion, enthusiasm, and critical thinking on topics within Economic Botany.
We also encourage you to be creative! For example, film yourself or your group out in the field, in the lab, or wherever you can best convey your message. You might consider explaining how you study the subject, historical meanings, future directions, etc.
Selected films will be shown at the next annual conference in a special session. The 2019 meeting will take place in Cincinnati, OH in early June and we would love to have you!
Please visit www.econbot.org to join the Society for Economic Botany in our mission to investigate the many vital connections between people, plants, and culture.
How to Apply / Rules
·Videos must be uploaded and made publicly available via YouTube exactly as such:
o Title: Defining Economic Botany
o Description: This video was produced in consideration for Society for Economic Botany Public Engagement Award by [Insert Your Name or Names].
- Once the video is uploaded please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Name of entrant(s):
- Email address:
- Link to the video:
- A statement explicitly stating that you give The Society for Economic Botany all rights to use and distribute your film for promotion.
All entrants must be current members of the society to apply. Please sign up here to join our thriving society and enjoy all the benefits of membership. If entrants are new members, they may also consider having their advisor or another member purchase a discounted gift membership. https://payments.econbot.org/joinseb/
- Entries must be in English or subtitled in English.
- One entry per person per award period.
- In the event of a team entry, prize money will be split evenly amongst team members.
- We encourage you to cross-post your film across all social media platforms using the hashtag #EconomicBotany