Student/PostDoc Travel Awards
2020 Society for Economic Botany Meeting Student/Post-doc Travel Awards
We are excited to announce that we will provide eight travel grants for student and/or post-doctoral scholars to attend the 61st Annual Meeting of the Society for Economic Botany in Mona, Jamaica! These merit-based awards will cover the cost of general conference registration (not including optional field trips) and dorm lodging.
Applicants must meet both of the following criteria to be eligible for the travel grant:
- Be registered as a current member of the Society for Economic Botany; and
- Be currently enrolled in a graduate program (Masters or Doctoral students are eligible) or within one year after graduation (if you are between one and two years post graduation and wish to be considered, please contact Nanci Ross at firstname.lastname@example.org) or be currently employed as a Post-doctoral fellow. Note that your letter of support from your primary mentor must verify this status.
Applicants must assemble the following pieces of information, and submit all as a merged (single file) PDF document in the following order:
- Conference Abstract. Follow the SEB abstract guidelines for formatting. Abstracts must also be submitted through the web portal;
- Curriculum Vitae. Be sure to include a list of publications. Submitted publications which are currently in review may also be included. Publications “in-progress” should NOT be included on the CV;
- Statement of Interest. The statement of interest should be no longer than 1 single page. Applicants should address the following in their statement: 1) How your research is relevant to members of the Society for Economic Botany; 2) How attendance at this particular meeting is important to your career development; 3) How have you been involved in the SEB until now and how do you plan to be involved in the future? ; and
- Letter of Support. Your letter of support should come from your primary mentor/advisor or Department Chair. Letters must also confirm your current status as either an enrolled student or employment as a post-doctoral fellow.
- Save your PDF file as “LAST NAME_FIRST NAME”.
Submission details (follow these carefully!):
Applications are due by February 21, 2020 at midnight (EST). Applications should be submitted by e-mail as a single PDF file attachment in the above listed order to Dr. Nanci J. Ross (email@example.com). Please write “SEB travel grant” in the email subject header. Again, make sure to save your PDF file as “LAST NAME_FIRST NAME”. Confirmation for receipt of the application will follow by email. Note that you are also required to submit a presentation/poster abstract via the web portal (check the conference website for the due date).
Applications that do not meet the above-described format or that are submitted in multiple file attachments will not be considered for review. Likewise, any late applications will not be considered for review.
The Travel Grant Awards committee will notify the award recipients by March 15, 2020.
Award recipients are expected to present their research (poster or oral presentation) at the conference. They are also expected to write a brief account of their experience at the meeting for the SEB newsletter.
Any questions regarding these travel awards can be addressed to Nanci Ross at firstname.lastname@example.org.